I. For the FlixCompanies: General Terms and Conditions of Carriage
1 Application of These Terms and Conditions
The terms and conditions of carriage apply to the carriage of passengers on the FlixBus long-distance bus network. Carriage on the FlixTrain rail network is governed by separate Terms and Conditions of Carriage.
The vehicles are used for the carriage of passengers.
1.1 The Conditions of Carriage apply to the carriage of passengers in the network of Flix SE (hereinafter also: “Flix”) in accordance with EU Regulation No. 181/2011. The vehicles are used for the transport of passengers.
As far as the service is provided by cooperation partners (hereinafter also: “Partners”), their general terms and conditions of business and specific conditions of carriage shall apply exclusively. These can be found on the websites of the Partners. Please note that they may only be available in English. The Partners do not assume any transport obligations using the FlixBus brand, with the exception of the connections 96 Vienna - Graz and X96 Vienna Airport - Graz, which are operated by Dr. Richard Linien & co KG.
2 Right to Carriage
2.1 There is an entitlement to carriage provided a contract of carriage has been entered into.
2.2 The booking confirmation (see clause 3.1) entitles the passenger to a journey between the start and destination indicated on the ticket. A later boarding or earlier disembarkation is not permitted due to legal regulations.
2.3 If a journey is booked when on board a vehicle, an obligation to convey shall only exist in the event that sufficient seating is available for the entire journey.
2.4 In the case of request stops, an obligation to convey only exists in the event that a journey was booked from or to this stop within the corresponding advance booking deadline. Request stops are indicated as such in the respective schedules. The corresponding advance booking deadlines can be found in the relevant schedule.
3 Tickets, Carriage Charges
3.1 The stipulated carriage charges must be paid in return for carriage. For this purpose, tickets are issued by Flix. The booking confirmation, either printed out or displayed in electronic form (PDF file), and a valid official photo identification shall be deemed to constitute a ticket. If a booking is made on board the vehicles, the handwritten or printed receipt will be considered as proof of purchase and booking confirmation. A ticket is generated for each person and each journey. Connections with transfer are considered as one trip. The first and last name of the passenger and, if applicable, the date of birth must be provided during the booking process. The passenger’s name is matched with the booking list that is displayed on the cell phone of the driver or bus station staff based on the current booking situation to determine whether there is a claim to carriage. This is done preferably by scanning the tickets.
3.2 The passenger must make a booking prior to departure. Access to the passenger compartment in the vehicle is only permitted with a valid booking confirmation.
3.2.1 Journeys may be booked online at the web portals, via the mobile smartphone apps of Flix, in partner agencies, on board the vehicles (at regular fares) and at some staffed bus stations. It is only possible to book on board the vehicles if there are still enough seats available for the entire journey. As a result, advance purchase (Internet, App or an agency) is recommended.
3.2.2 A booking confirmation (order data) is saved, can be retrieved via the web portal and can also be sent to the passenger by email if necessary.
3.2.3 Every passenger with a valid ticket is entitled to a seat. In such cases, passengers with children and persons with impaired mobility are given priority in the selection of seats.
3.3 On-line Ticket Purchase:
3.3.1 The representation of products in the online shop, accessible via the internet and the smartphone app, shall not constitute a legally binding offer, but rather a non-binding online catalog which prompts potential passengers to submit offers. By clicking the “Book”/“Pay” button, a binding order for the goods in the shopping cart is placed. A ticket is generated for each person and each journey. Connections with transfers (interconnections) are treated as one journey. Confirmation of receipt of the order shall be issued immediately upon submission via an automatic e-mail confirmation. The contract for carriage shall not be deemed to have been concluded until Flix has accepted the order by issuing an acceptance confirmation. This confirmation of acceptance may be issued with the automated e-mail confirmation or separately at a later stage.
3.3.2 Current technology means that data communication via the internet cannot be guaranteed in an error-free and/or permanently accessible manner. It is not possible to develop and operate computer programs (software) and data processing systems (hardware) in a completely flawless manner and exclude all unpredictable factors which may occur in conjunction with the Internet medium. As a result, Flix shall not assume any guarantee for the constant, uninterrupted availability of its website and technical systems. In particular, due to the technical characteristics of the Internet, a permanent availability of the booking options on the Internet cannot be guaranteed. There shall be no entitlement to any savings or discounted prices if, due to technical problems, the system is only available again at a later point in time (e.g. advanced selling period).
3.3.3 It should be noted that the statutory provisions regarding cancellation rights in the case of distance contracts shall not apply as far as contracts of carriage concluded online by way of distance selling are concerned, and in the case of which the operator undertakes, upon the contract’s conclusion, to perform the service at a specific time or within a stipulated time period. This contrasts with the online mail order business. Our conditions concerning cancellation remain, however, unaffected by the above.
3.4 Staff operated Sales Offices:
Sales agencies, ticket outlets and the customer service department of FlixCompanies may charge a service fee to complete a booking or cancellation. The shop service fee charged depends of the shop location.
3.5 Carriage charges:
3.5.1 There shall be no entitlement to book all price brackets or price quotas in connection with any particular form of booking. Savings and promotional prices in particular are only partly bookable on-line.
3.5.2 The fare only covers the transport of persons, other services and services such as the reservation of seats and the carriage of bicycles, additional or special luggage will be subject to a separate charge.
3.5.3 Specific booking conditions apply to reduced fares. The publication of fare conditions regarding the individual routes shall be decisive in this regard.
4 Invalid tickets
The passenger is required to show both the ticket and a valid photo identification when asked to do so by employees of FlixCompanies during random ticket checks for the purpose of checking the validity of the ticket.
5 Increased Carriage Charges
5.1 Passengers shall be obliged to pay an increased carriage charge in the event that they are found to be traveling on board a vehicle and have failed to book a seat on the journey in question, either in advance or upon boarding the vehicle.
5.2 Passengers who, upon inspection, are found to have failed to make a valid booking, shall be obliged to provide their correct personal details and to identify themselves upon request.
5.3 The increased carriage charges shall amount to twice the usual fare for the distance traveled by passengers, but at least €60, plus the fare for the remaining distance to the destination traveled by passengers. If passengers are unable to verify the distance traveled, the starting point of the route is used for the calculation of the increased carriage charges.
5.4 The increased carriage charges must be paid immediately, or, in other cases, 2 weeks at the latest after receipt of the payment request in text form. Upon expiry of this deadline a processing fee of €5 will be charged for each written request for payment, provided that the passenger cannot prove that no, or lower, processing costs were incurred. FlixCompanies reserve the right to take further measures pertaining to further civil and/or criminal proceedings.
6.1 Amendments to the approved and published travel times, dates, routes and fares on the grounds of good cause, in particular for the implementation of decisions of the licensing authority, are reserved.
6.2 If the routes published in the schedule are marked with the reference “subject to official approval”, the licensing procedure required for the inclusion of the respective transport links in the published schedule has not yet been concluded for the routes in question (connection, stop, day of travel, fare, etc.).
6.3 Schedule amendments which take effect after the contract’s conclusion and for which the carrier is not responsible (e.g. long-term effects of natural catastrophes or permanent building sites) shall not entitle passengers to assert compensation claims as long as these amendments deviate only insignificantly from the originally agreed departure and arrival times, i.e. up to a maximum of 2 hours. Substantial schedule amendments shall entitle passengers to withdraw from the contract of carriage free of charge. To do this, passengers are requested to either contact customer service hotline:
- Calls from Germany and Switzerland (German landline): +49 30 300 137 300
- Calls from Austria (Austrian landline): +43 820 910 340
- Calls from Italy (Italian landline): +39 (02) 947 59 208
- Calls from France (French landline): +33 (0)1 76 36 04 12
- Calls from Great Britain (British landline): +44 1491 502156
- Calls from Croatia (Croatian landline): +385 1 800 03 80
- Calls from Denmark (Danish landline): +45 35 15 40 55
- Calls from Sweden (Swedish landline): +46812411600
- Calls from Poland (Polish landline): +48 22 307 93 34*
- Calls from Russia (Russian landline): +7 (495) 283-97-30
or by Email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Passengers should not have commenced travel in these cases. Other passenger rights shall remain unaffected.
7 Travel Commencement
7.1 Passengers are recommended to reach the departure point 15 minutes prior to travel commencement.
7.2 Claims for carriage and the booked journey may be otherwise assigned in the event that passengers are not present at the scheduled departure time and place for the route booked.
7.3 If passengers are notified via SMS, e-mail or other written format of a delay in travel, then a claim for carriage in the event of passengers’ absence shall only lapse with effect from the delayed travel time specified in the SMS or e-mail.
7.4 The passenger’s name is matched with the booking list that is displayed on the cell phone of the driver or bus station staff based on the current booking situation in order to determine whether there is a claim to carriage. This is done preferably by scanning the tickets. In special cases, the passenger must identify him-/herself to the driver and service staff on request by submitting the printed or electronic (as PDF file) presentable booking confirmation, as well as a valid government-issued photo ID (identity card, passport or similar including a valid visa, if necessary).
8.1 As a general rule, the published scheduled services are direct connections. In some cases a transfer may be necessary.
8.2 If a transfer is scheduled, FlixCompanies guarantee passengers’ continued carriage to their booked destination. FlixCompanies offer substitute transportation if a shuttle bus is unable to wait for a delayed connecting bus in exceptional cases. In some cases, this may take the form of motor buses operated by other companies, cars or railroad. Claims to a particular form of transport shall not be recognized. In the event the destination is a long distance away or no reasonable alternative connections are available, making it necessary to resume the journey the following day, passengers are offered free accommodation in a mid-range hotel.
8.3 The regulation described above shall apply only in cases in which passenger bookings with Flix feature direct connections. If passengers book individual routes and combine these to form a journey involving transfers, they shall bear the risk of missing a connection. Claims for substitute transportation or hotel accommodation shall not exist in these cases. However, Flix or FlixCompanies shall make every reasonable effort to inform passengers of alternative connections.
8.4 Transferring to transport services not operated by FlixCompanies cannot be guaranteed.
9 General Passenger Obligations
9.1 Instructions issued by driving and accompanying personnel must be obeyed.
9.2 Driving and dispatch personnel shall be authorized to exclude persons from travel if they are obviously intoxicated or under the influence of drugs. The same shall apply to passengers who compromise the safety of their fellow passengers for other reasons or significantly impair the well-being of the latter. Claims to substitute transportation shall not exist in these cases.
9.3 Smoking on board the bus is not permitted. This prohibition also extends to e-cigarettes.
9.4 Passengers shall be liable for damages caused on, in or to the bus in a culpable manner.
9.5 Passengers who cause soiling in the bus, either intentionally or as the result of gross negligence, shall be obliged to pay FlixCompanies a cleaning fee of at least €100, provided that passengers shall be entitled to provide evidence that no damage was caused or that the said damage was considerably less than the aforementioned flat rate.
9.6 Carriers may cancel the contract of carriage without notice in the event that despite (verbal) warning, a passenger behaves in a manner so disruptive, that it is no longer reasonable for the carrier and/or the remaining passengers to continue the journey. This shall also apply if the passenger fails to observe objectively justified guidelines (e.g. safety guidelines). In this case, the carrier is entitled to retain the fare. An exception is the illness-related loss of a passenger with an infectious disease according to section 3 paragraph 1 no. 2 of VO-ABB (Verordnung über die Allgemeinen Beförderungsbedingungen für den Straßenbahn- und Omnibus-Verkehr [statutory order regarding the General Conditions of Carriage for Tram and Bus Transport and Scheduled Services with Motor Vehicles]). In this case the passenger is entitled to a full reimbursement of the ticket price.
9.7 All passengers shall be obliged to use the seatbelts in accordance with statutory regulations, insofar as the bus is equipped with the same.
9.8 During breaks/stops or police checks, bus passengers are to leave the bus if requested to do so by driving and service personnel. Passengers are required to follow the break duration given by driving and service personnel during said breaks. Driving personnel are authorized to continue driving should a passenger not return to the bus after the indicated break time is over, and are not responsible for the absence of a passenger after the indicated break time is over.
10 Specific Obligations of Passengers on International Routes
10.1 Each passenger desiring transportation across any international boundary shall be solely responsible for complying with all laws and regulations relating to necessary travel documents, visas, foreign currencies, customs, and health regulations. FlixBus is not liable for any consequences due to failure from the passenger to comply with such laws and regulations, even if these are changed after booking.
10.2 Each passenger desiring transportation across any international boundary is responsible for carrying all necessary travel documents with them and for complying with the laws of each country from, through or to which they desire transportation.
10.2.1 For citizens of the European Union, Norway, and Iceland in particular, their national ID card is accepted as a travel document; citizens of all other nationalities require passports.
Specifically, this does not include: residency permits (which do not authorize border crossings), driver’s licenses, library ID cards, student ID cards, health insurance cards, and similar documents.
10.2.2 It is recommended that passengers independently check the entry and travel requirements of the destination country/transit countries by contacting the relevant embassies or consulates and by browsing the europa.eu website at: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/index_en.htm. FlixBus is not liable for any consequences if a passenger fails to carry with them the necessary travel documents during travel.
10.3 Each passenger must provide the driving or the service personnel with the necessary travel documents for cross-border traffic prior to each trip with a long-distance bus. This is subject to cursory checks by the driving or the service personnel.
10.4 FlixBus reserves the right to refuse boarding to the passenger if they cannot provide any travel documents according to Section 10.2.1.
10.5 In accordance to Article 10.4, FlixBus is under no obligation to reimburse the ticket in full or in part, or to make any form of compensation.
10.6 Checked luggage shall remain unlocked to accelerate customs clearance processes.
10.7 Passengers shall be obliged to only carry goods with them which are exempt from customs duties in nature and quantity.
11 Children and Minors
11.1 Small children aged between 0 and 3 years may only be conveyed in appropriate child safety seats. During the journey, these must be secured with the seatbelts located on the buses. The child safety seats must be secured with 2-point belts and provided by the adults accompanying the small children in question.
11.2 Children and minors who have not yet reached the age of 10 will only be permitted to travel on all national and international scheduled services if they are accompanied by an adult.
11.3 Children and minors aged between 10 and 14 may only travel alone in the event that a parent or legal guardian has confirmed in writing during booking that the minor in question is both able and in a position to commence travel unaccompanied and unsupervised. Flix, FlixCompanies and their affiliates expressly do not assume any responsibility to supervise a minor. Children traveling alone may not travel on overnight services and across national borders. In addition, all children traveling alone are not authorized to participate in trips involving connections.
11.4 Young people aged 15 and above may travel independently. In the case of international connections, parents or guardians must ensure that adolescents carry all documents and identity cards necessary for crossing the border (see also clause 11.2).
11.5 Children shall travel at a reduced fare. This regulation shall apply to children and minors who have not yet reached the age of 15. If an available promotional fare is less than the reduced fare, children shall automatically pay the lower price.
12 Passengers with disabilities or limited mobility
12.1 Everyone will be given an opportunity to travel, regardless of whether they have a disability or limited mobility. Persons with a disability or with limited mobility will be provided assistance by FlixBus, in accordance with Annex I a and b of the EU regulation 181/2011, within the carrier’s area of responsibility.
12.1.1 In the Czech Republic persons with a disability or limited mobility can travel at a reduced fare provided they can prove the possession of a valid ZTP or ZTP/P card issued in the Czech Republic.
12.2 Escorts as well as mobility assistance and guide dogs
12.2.1 The person accompanying you is entitled to travel for free if you can prove that you need to be accompanied at all times. Proof is provided by showing on departure the appropriate document that states the need for constant monitoring, for example in Germany, the “Schwerbehindertenausweis” [certificate of severely handicapped person] or a medical certificate.
12.2.2 In order to ensure it is possible to transport persons with disabilities or limited mobility as well as their escort, the passenger must inform us about his/her needs before booking. (C.f. clause 12.5.3).
12.2.3 Mobility assistance and guide dogs that must be brought along by people are transported at no additional charge, provided that proof or corresponding certification of the disability has been provided (c.f. clause 12.2.1). These animals are not required to wear a muzzle.
12.2.4 In order to ensure it is possible to transport an escort or guide dog, the passenger must inform our customer service via telephone about their needs before booking no less than 36 hours before departure.
12.3 Bus stops/Bus stations
FlixCompanies has no influence over the infrastructural condition of the stops and bus stations visited, and therefore the handicapped access for disabled persons. Therefore, FlixBus cannot make any guarantee for this. The respective operator of the station is responsible for this.
12.4 Refusal of carriage
12.4.1 Should the vehicle’s design or infrastructure, including bus stations and bus stops, physically prevent the boarding, exit or carriage of the disabled person or person with limited mobility in a safe and operationally feasible manner, FlixCompanies reserve the right to refuse to accept a reservation, to issue or to make available a ticket or to allow the person in question to board the vehicle. In this case, the person(s) involved shall be informed about all other acceptable alternative means of carriage using services offered by FlixCompanies.
12.4.2 The vehicle design means that carriage is currently only possible in the event that disabled persons or those with limited mobility are able to commence travel independently and without external aid. Passengers may request accompaniment by another person of their choice who is able to provide the assistance required by disabled persons or those with limited mobility to compensate for the above restrictions. Companions of this nature are conveyed free of charge and allocated seats next to the disabled persons or those with limited mobility as far as possible.
12.4.3 Any passengers affected will be notified promptly and if they so request in writing, within five working days after receipt of the request, about the corresponding reason for refusal of transportation.
12.4.4 In the event that the carriage of a passenger with a disability or limited mobility is checked and a ticket is issued, and if this passenger is subsequently refused carriage, both the passenger and the accompanying person have the following options: (a) to either request the reimbursement of the fare and the free return trip to the initial point of departure as specified on the contract of carriage at the earliest opportunity, as applicable, or (b) to continue the journey on an alternative route with an acceptable substitute transport service to the destination specified in the contract of carriage.
12.5 Carriage of wheelchairs or walking aids
12.5.1 Passengers with disabilities or limited mobility shall be entitled to transport their folding wheelchairs or walking aids in the bus’s luggage compartment free of charge. The wheelchairs must be collapsible for safety reasons and without electric drive.
12.5.2 Furthermore, all wheelchairs needed in the passenger cabin, regardless of the manufacture date of the attachment points for the securing devices, must have the so-called load nodes according to DIN 75078-2 as well as manufacturer authorization according to DIN EN 12183 or 12184. Compliance with the standards for transportation stated above is to be confirmed via the form sent before booking. (c.f. clause 12.5.4).
12.5.3 In order to verify that transportation will be possible, the passenger is requested to provide the exact model of the wheelchair or other walking aids to customer service before booking, by telephone from 14 days and no later than 7 days (for transport in the passenger cabin) or 36 hours (for transport in the luggage compartment) before departure.
12.5.4 The passenger guarantees that the wheelchair is functional and technically capable of being used safely during travel. The wheelchair must comply with current legal safety requirements. The transportation in a wheelchair may be refused if considerable evidence indicates that safe travel is not possible or is questionable. The carrier is not liable for damage caused by a defective technical condition of the wheelchair.
13 Seat Reservation
13.1 Booking a seat reservation
13.1.1 On some FlixBus journeys, a specific seat can be reserved when booking on our websites, affiliate agencies, or ticket offices of the FlixCompanies. Availability and reservation fee vary depending on the route, line, seat category (aisle, window, row, or table), and time of booking.
13.1.2 The booking of a seat reservation will be acknowledged with reference to the booking confirmation. Bookings for seat reservations for more than one person are not assigned individually, that is, there is no assignment between the seat reservations and the person booking it.
13.1.3 There is no requirement to make a (paid) seat reservation. If no seat reservation is made, the passenger is free to choose a seat in a defined area when commencing his/her bus journey. In such a case, we cannot ensure that families and groups can sit together. However, we always ensure that every customer has a seat on the bus.
13.2 Restrictions on seat reservations
13.2.1 If you do not arrive at the bus on time, you will lose your claim to the seat and carriage. In such cases FlixBus is entitled to assign the ticket to another person in accordance with Clause 7.2. It is therefore recommended that you arrive at the bus stop no later than 15 minutes before departure even if you have a seat reservation.
13.2.2 Generally, only those persons with a seat reservation are entitled to occupy a reserved seat. FlixBus may reassign seats for operational or safety reasons, even after departure. This may occur, for example, when pregnant women, minors, children traveling alone or persons with physical disabilities need to move to another seat and no corresponding seats are free. In such cases the bus driver’s instructions must be followed. Seats may be reassigned without regard to race, religion, skin color, nationality or gender.
13.2.3 If a seat reservation is changed and it is not possible to allocate a seat in the reserved or superior category, the passenger may reclaim the seat reservation fee.
13.2.4 In case of cancellations and delays pursuant to Clause 17, the seat reservation fee will be reimbursed.
13.2.5 A refund will not be given if the passenger did not travel or the seat was allocated or purchased free of charge.
13.3 Cancellations and Transfers
The seat reservation fee is refundable when a journey is canceled or rebooked, unless the seat was allocated free of charge. The provisions of Clause 5 of the booking terms and conditions apply. If a journey is canceled, seat reservations may be transferred to other persons in the same reservation.
13.4 Booking an extra seat
13.4.1 The provisions 13.1 to 13.3 apply.
13.4.2 An extra seat is not an additional claim for carriage within the meaning of section 2.2. Therefore, it may not be transferred to another person without a valid ticket.
13.4.3 The fee for the available seat is governed by our current valid ticket prices. Provision 13.1.1. also applies to the seat reservation fee for the extra seat.
15 Carriage of Goods
15.1.1 The luggage allowance included in the fare is limited to one piece of free luggage per passenger with a maximum size of 80 x 50 x 30 cm per bag. Slightly different dimensions are permitted if the total size of the luggage composed of height, width and length does not exceed 160 cm. Each passenger can take luggage free of charge up to a maximum of 20 kg. Luggage refers to suitcases and bags. Taking a trekking backpack is an exception. Please note that some of our lines may have exceptions to the luggage policy. If necessary, these will be indicated during the respective booking process and on the issued ticket.
15.1.2 Additional luggage
220.127.116.11 In individual cases within the context of existing capacities, another luggage item (additional luggage) with maximum dimensions of 80 x 50 x 30 cm and a maximum weight of 20 kg is permitted for a price. Slightly different dimensions are also allowed for the additional luggage provided that the total amount of luggage does not exceed 160 cm. A general right for the carriage of more than one piece of luggage does not exist. Please note that some of our lines may have exceptions to the luggage policy. If necessary, these will be indicated during the respective booking process and on the issued ticket.
18.104.22.168 Booking of the additional luggage in advance is necessary. The booking can either be done online during the booking process or online via Manage my Booking after the ticket purchase. If there is enough space in the luggage compartment of the bus and no additional luggage has been booked yet, an additional luggage can be purchased from the bus driver. This assessment is the responsibility of the bus driver. Availability and additional luggage fee vary depending on the route, line, time of booking and method of booking.
15.1.3 Passengers are obliged to label their luggage with their name and address for the purposes of correct assignment and return, and especially to avoid mix-ups.
15.1.4 Passengers are responsible for loading their luggage when changing vehicles. Possible assistance from the coach driver will only be provided in exceptional cases and does not justify any claims to the same, unless the passenger in question is handicapped or is an individual with reduced mobility.
15.2 Hand Luggage:
15.2.1 Hand luggage is carried free of charge, but is limited to one luggage item per passenger with a maximum size of 42 x 30 x 18 cm and a maximum weight of 7 kg.
15.2.2 Passengers shall be required to stow and monitor the hand luggage in the passenger area in a manner which ensures that the safety and proper operation of the bus is not compromised and other passengers are not inconvenienced. Hand luggage should, in principle, be stowed on the luggage racks provided or placed under the seats in front of passengers.
15.2.3 The hand luggage and its contents shall remain in the care of passengers for the duration of the journey and must be monitored appropriately. If any unauthorized access by third parties is observed, the bus driver should be informed. Passengers are requested to check their hand luggage for completeness prior to the end of the journey.
15.3 Special Luggage:
15.3.1 So-called special luggage requires prior registration by passengers and confirmation that its carriage is possible. No general claim to the carriage of special luggage shall exist.
15.3.2 Items that exceed the standard luggage dimensions are considered special luggage. However, the overall dimensions of special luggage items may not exceed 240 cm (height in cm + width in cm + depth in cm). A single item of special luggage may not exceed a maximum weight of 30 kg.
15.3.3 The carriage of special luggage shall be limited to one item per passenger.
15.3.4 Fixtures, furnishings or furniture parts, electronic devices, surfboards and cardboard cartons shall generally be excluded from carriage. Orthopedic aids and bicycles are not regarded as special luggage. These are subject to separate conditions.
15.3.5 Booking of the special luggage in advance is necessary. The booking can either be done online during the booking process or online via Manage my Booking after the ticket purchase. If there is enough space in the luggage compartment of the bus and no special luggage has been booked yet, a special luggage can be purchased from the bus driver. This assessment is the responsibility of the bus driver. Availability and special luggage fee vary depending on the route, line, time of booking and method of booking.
15.4 Musical Instruments:
15.4.1 Musical instruments are regarded as special luggage. If the instrument in question (including case) is smaller than the stipulated size of hand luggage, it may be conveyed free of charge in place of hand luggage. If the instrument in question (including its case) is larger than the stipulated size of hand luggage, it must be conveyed in the luggage compartment. In this case, an additional fee will be charged (cf. Clause 15.3.5). Musical instruments and their cases whose measurements exceed 135 x 48 x 35 cm will not be conveyed.
15.4.2 The carriage of musical instruments in hard shell cases is generally recommended.
15.5 Valuable items and electronic equipment:
15.5.1 Valuable items, such as cash, jewelry, precious metals, keys, glasses (sunglasses and/or reading glasses), electronic devices (laptops, iPads, tablets, MP3 players, cellphones, cameras, power banks, lithium batteries or lithium accumulators), e-cigarettes, electronic consumer goods (in particular laptops, mobile phones, etc.) affected by a recall action by the manufacturer or dealer, contact lenses, prostheses, medication, important documents (diploma certificates, other certificates, credentials, passports, driving licenses, securities), etc. and fragile objects must be conveyed in hand luggage, not normal luggage, and are subject to the due diligence of passengers.
15.5.2 Should passengers nonetheless choose to place valuable items in their normal luggage, no liability claims shall be accepted. Cases of intent or gross negligence shall be exempted from the above.
15.6.1 Buggies shall be conveyed as special luggage (max. one buggy per passenger). Buggies must be collapsible. Non-collapsible buggies shall not be conveyed. Registration must be made by telephone via the customer service hotline 48 hours prior to travel commencement at the earliest.
15.6.2 Buggies are conveyed free of charge.
15.7 Bicycles & E-scooters:
22.214.171.124 Bicycles are conveyed on some routes. Bicycles must be of a standard size without attachments and may not exceed a weight of 20 kg. E-bikes, pedelecs, tandems or tricycles are not conveyed.
126.96.36.199 We recommend that all passengers wishing to take a bicycle book the journey and bicycle spaces well in advance.
188.8.131.52 The carriage of bicycles is dependent upon the available capacity of maximum five bicycles per bus. There shall be no general claim to the carriage of bicycles.
184.108.40.206 Transporting bicycles is subject to an additional bicycle fee. Availability and bicycle fee vary depending on the route, line, time of booking and method of booking. Carriage is on bicycle carriers. In special cases, carriage is only possible in suitable bags in the luggage compartment (e.g., folding bike). The overall dimensions of the bicycle bag cannot exceed 240 cm (height + width + depth) and may not weigh more than 20 kg. In that case, customer service must be notified (c.f. clause 15.3.5).
220.127.116.11 The transport of electric scooters and similar goods on long-distance buses is excluded.
15.8 Items forgotten or left behind in the bus are not covered by insurance. In the event that passengers have left items in the bus, they should fill in the lost and found form on the web portals of Flix.
15.9 Dangerous substances and objects are not permitted during travel, especially
- explosive, flammable, radioactive, foul-smelling or corrosive substances,
- unpackaged or unprotected items which could injure passengers.
These include, for example, weapons, ammunition and pyrotechnics.
16 Carriage of Animals
16.1 The carriage and transport of dogs and other animals in the long-distance buses is excluded in principle.
16.2 The rules specified in 12.2.3 as well as 12.2.4 apply for mobility assistance and guide dogs.
17 Passenger Rights in the Event of Delays or Cancellation
17.1 If there is a cancellation or delay, FlixCompanies or the bus station operator will notify the passengers departing from a staffed terminal of the situation as quickly as possible, and at the latest 30 minutes after the scheduled departure time, and inform them of the anticipated departure time as soon as this information becomes available. FlixCompanies shall offer all passengers, particularly those departing from non-staffed bus stations, electronic information regarding cancellations or delays. In order to receive this information through SMS, passengers must provide the cellphone number during the booking process.
17.2 Should it be reasonable to assume that the departure of the booked journey must be cancelled, or will be delayed by more than 120 minutes or in the event of overbooking, passengers have the following options: (a) to continue their journeys at the earliest possible opportunity on a different route leading to the destination stipulated in the contract of carriage at comparable conditions to those named in the same, or (b) to request reimbursement of the fare and the free return trip with the bus to the place of departure stipulated in the contract of carriage as applicable. Claims for reimbursement of the full, paid fare shall exist both for the parts of the journey completed as well as for those not completed if the passenger is not able to complete the journey in accordance with his/her original travel plans. Reimbursement shall be made in monetary terms within 14 days after receipt of the compensation claim or passengers have been given the choice of (a) or (b), above, unless passengers agree to another form of refund.
17.3 Flix shall offer passengers free accommodation in a hotel or other form of lodging, as well as help them to organize transport between the bus station and place of accommodation, this applies in the event that a stay of one night or more is required as a result of the journey’s cancellation or delay from a bus station exceeding 90 minutes in the case of journeys with a scheduled length of more than three hours. In such cases, Flix shall offer passengers snacks, meals or refreshments proportionate to the waiting period or delay, provided that these are available on the bus or at the bus station or can be procured in a reasonable manner. Flix shall limit the overall cost of the accommodation, excluding the carriage costs between bus station and lodgings, to €80 per night per passenger and to a maximum of two nights. The above-mentioned claim to free accommodation in a hotel or other form of lodging shall not apply if Flix is able to prove that the cancellation or delay was caused by adverse weather conditions or severe natural catastrophes which compromise the safe operation of the scheduled bus service.
17.4 In the event that the vehicle becomes unserviceable during the journey, Flix shall offer passengers continued carriage with a substitute vehicle or carriage to a suitable waiting point from whence the journey can be continued.
17.5 Further claims arising from harm caused by the cancellation or delay shall not be excluded.
18.1 In the event of slight negligence, liability shall only be assumed—except in the case of injury to life, limb or health—if essential contractual obligations are violated. Unlimited liability for intent and gross negligence shall continue to apply.
18.2 Liability for collateral damage shall be excluded in cases of ordinary negligence. This shall not apply in cases of intentional or negligent injury to body, life and health.
18.3 The amount of compensation in the event of death shall be calculated in accordance with the applicable national law. The maximum amount of compensation provided for by national law shall not be less than EUR 220 000 per passenger.
18.4 Liability and level of compensation for damage to luggage shall be limited and excluded as follows:
18.4.1 In the case of damage to luggage items resulting from an accident involving the bus, or loss of luggage items resulting from the same, the level of compensation per damage claim per passenger and luggage item shall be limited to €1,200.
18.4.2 Liability shall be excluded in cases where the loss of luggage items was unconnected to an accident involving the bus, in addition to the mix-up or theft of the same, except in cases of intent and gross negligence.
18.4.3 Liability for damage or further damage resulting from passengers’ failure to pack the luggage items in an appropriate manner shall be excluded, except in cases of intent and gross negligence.
18.5 Compensation in the event of damage to wheelchairs and other mobility equipment or assistive devices shall always equate, at a minimum, to the replacement value or the cost of repair of the lost or damaged equipment. In the process, all efforts will be made to procure at least a temporary replacement of the same, which corresponds to the technical and functional features of the lost or damaged wheelchair or other mobility equipment.
18.6 The amount of compensation for all other property damage, which is neither accidental damage to luggage nor damage to wheelchairs or other mobility aids or assistive devices, shall be limited to €1,000 unless the property damage is based upon intent or gross negligence.
18.7 The limitations and exclusions of liability shall not apply to a statutory mandatory liability without fault or if a no-fault warranty has been assumed in individual cases.
19 General Conditions of Carriage
20 Place of Jurisdiction
The place of jurisdiction for registered traders, legal and natural persons who have no general place of jurisdiction in Germany, as well as for natural persons who have relocated or resettled abroad after concluding a contract of carriage, whose domicile or habitual residence at the time the complaint is not known, is Munich.
21 Ineffective Provisions
If individual provisions within these General Business Terms and Conditions of Carriage should be or become entirely or partially ineffective or void, this shall, in principle, not compromise the efficacy of the contract of carriage as a whole.
II. Country-specific Special Conditions of Carriage
1. Additional Conditions of Carriage applicable to Denmark
- re 5: Students, children and seniors receive a discount on regular rates when traveling within Denmark. Please note that you are required to present a valid photo ID to the driver when booking and traveling at the reduced rate upon arrival. Tickets for children, students or senior citizens are only valid upon presentation of a pass. If you cannot provide the driver with an ID card, the reduced ticket will be forfeited, and you will need a regular ticket for the journey.
Danish soldiers under compulsory military service can travel for free by presenting the appropriate documentation and ID of such service. A seat reservation must be made by e-mail: email@example.com.
- re 11: Clauses 11.2, 11.3 and 11.5 do not apply to routes within Denmark. Minors under the age of 16 may travel alone within Denmark, even on journeys involving connections, if the parent or legal guardian has confirmed in writing that the minor in question is in a position to commence travel unaccompanied and unsupervised. FlixBus expressly assumes no duty of supervision of the minor. Within Denmark, children always travel at a reduced rate compared to adult tickets. Up to two children under the age of 12 can travel for free if accompanied by a passenger aged 16 or over. A child under 12 can travel for free if accompanied by a child aged between 12 und 15.
2. Additional Conditions of Carriage applicable to France
- re 7.6: All passengers above 18 years old, traveling to France and within the French territory, will be required as from August 9, 2021, to be in possession of one of the three health proofs relevant to the Health Pass: either a certificate of full vaccination, proof of a valid negative RT-PCR or antigenic test, the result of a positive RT-PCR test attesting to the recovery of Covid-19, at least 11 days old and no more than 6 months old.
Passengers who do not carry sufficient proof of this may be excluded from the journey. In this case, there is no entitlement to substitute transport.
From the 30th of September 2021, these measures apply to all passengers above 12 years old.
- re 11: Clauses 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4 do not apply to routes within France and to international connections from France. Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian on any journey. If children or young adults aged 16 and 17 travel internationally from France, their parents or guardians must ensure that they have all the documents and identity papers required for crossing a border with them (identity card/passport and visa, if required).
- re 12.2.1: A person accompanying you is entitled to travel for free if you can prove that you need to be accompanied at all times. Proof is provided by showing on departure the appropriate document that states the need for constant monitoring, for example in Italy “Atteste”, in France “Carte D’Invalidité (Besoin d´Accompagnement)“ [Disability Card (Need for Accompaniment)].
3. Additional Conditions of Carriage applicable to Italy
- re 11.1: Children aged between 0 and 3 years may only be transported in appropriate child safety seats. These seats must be secured with the two-point seat belts available on the bus and they must be provided by the adults accompanying the minors. FlixBus is not responsible for the suitability and conformity to legal requirements of the safety seats carried by the adults accompanying the minors.
Minors who are at least 3 years old may be transported using restraint systems, only if the latter are approved and compatible with their height (art. 172.6 Codice della Strada).
If the bus is not equipped with approved restraint systems, minors must be transported using standard seat belts, only if the latter are compatible with their height. This provision only applies to children weighing less than 36 kg.
Only the adults responsible for supervising the minors will be liable, should they fail to comply with these provisions. Passengers who weigh up to 36 kg and are up to 1,50 mt tall may travel without using child restraint systems, only if they are not seated in the front row and they are accompanied by a passenger who is at least 16 years old.
On international connections, minors aged between 0 and 14 years (minors who are not 14 years old yet) may travel only if accompanied by an adult (parents, legal guardian or other person of legal age). If minors under the age of 14 travel on international connections accompanied by an adult other than their parents or legal guardian, the latter must grant explicit authorization, signing a Letter of consent at the competent Police Headquarters (Questura), which can be downloaded at the following link.
The validity of the travel authorization is limited to the single trip (to be intended as a one-way and/or return trip) outside the minor’s place of residence, with a determined destination.
If minors aged between 14 and 15 years (minors who are already 14 but not 15 years old yet) want to travel on international connections without being accompanied by an adult, their parents or legal guardian must grant a written authorization, to be attached to the ticket, using the form provided at the following link.
On national connections, minors aged between 0 and 10 years (minors who are not 10 years old yet) may travel only if accompanied by an adult (parents, legal guardian or other person of legal age). If minors under the age of 10 travel on national connections accompanied by an adult other than their parents or legal guardian, the latter must grant a written authorization, to be attached to the ticket, using the form provided at the following link.
If minors aged between 10 and 15 years (minors who are older than 10 but not 15 years old yet) want to travel on national connections without being accompanied by an adult, their parents or legal guardian must grant a written authorization, to be attached to the ticket, using the form provided at the following link.
Flix and the Flixcompanies are not responsible for supervising the minors.
- re 12: A person whose mobility is reduced in the use of transportation because of a physical disability (sensory or locomotory, permanent or temporary), intellectual disability or impairment, or any other cause of disability, or because of age, and whose condition requires appropriate attention and adaptation of the service provided to all passengers to his or her specific needs ("Person with Disability or Reduced Mobility" or "Disabled Person").
- re 12.2.1: An accompanying person is entitled to travel for free if the passenger can prove the need to be accompanied at all times. Proof is provided by showing the appropriate document that states the need for constant assistance upon departure; in Italy, the health certificate (Certificato) issued by the local health authority (ASL) or the National Social Insurance Institute (INPS).
- re 12.2.3: Service dogs for people with disabilities and guide dogs for the blind are transported free of charge, upon presentation of a valid document proving severe disability or an equivalent certificate (see 12.2.1). These animals must wear a muzzle if requested by the driver or a passenger.
4. Additional Conditions of Carriage applicable to Poland
- re 2.2: The provision does not exclude the right of the passenger to change the contract of carriage or withdraw from the contract of carriage at the place where the bus stops at the bus stop during the journey for connections operated by FlixBus Polska sp. z.o.o. Withdrawal from the contract of carriage during the journey requires prior notification of the driver The change of the contract of carriage during the journey requires prior informing the driver and buying a new ticket.
- re 3.1: Tickets purchased for routes operated by FlixBus Polska sp. z o.o. are considered invoices for the purposes of the Polish Sales Tax Act.
- re 3.2.1: Purchase of tickets for connections operated by FlixBus Polska sp. z o.o. is possible on board of selected buses.
- re 3.5.3: For journeys within Poland there are honored statutory discounts granted to entitled persons under the Polish Act on entitlements to discounted carriage on public transport or other provisions. The charge in this case is calculated based the statutory discount and the price specified in the charges list currently valid for the given route. The passenger is required to present a valid document confirming the discount entitlements before boarding the bus. Information about honored statutory concessions and valid documents to confirm eligibility can be found here.
- re 5: For services operated by FlixBus Polska sp. z o.o. the provisions set out under clause 5 shall also apply in case of recognition lack of valid document certifying entitlement to free or reduced fare.
- re 5.3: For services operated by FlixBus Polska sp. z o.o. the increased fare shall be the sum of the appropriate fare and the additional fare: PLN 150 - collected during the inspection or PLN 200 - when a request for payment was issued.
- re 5.4: For services operated by FlixBus Polska sp. z o.o. the increased fare and the additional fare shall be refunded, and request for payment shall be cancelled, after payment of the handling fee of PLN 15 and if passenger is able, no later than within 7 days from the date of carriage, to provide documents that relevant journey was booked or is entitled to a free or reduced fare. The relevant documentation should be sent via the contact form at https://help.flixbus.com/s/contact-us?language=en_IE or by registered letter to the address: FlixBus Polska sp. z o.o. Fabryczna 5A, 00-446 Warsaw, Poland.
- re 9.3: In Poland alcohol consumption on board the bus is not permitted.
- re 9.5: In the case of routes operated by FlixBus Polska sp. z o.o., clause 9.5 applies with the provision that passengers are only obliged to pay compensation for the soiling mentioned above in the amount of the actual costs of the damage caused.
- re 12: In Poland and on services operated by FlixBus Polska sp. z o.o. paragraphs 12.2.3 and 12.2.4 apply to people with disabilities with assistance dogs as defined by the relevant laws. Following provisions apply:
- re 12.2.3: Assistance dog of a person with disabilities is transported at no additional charge provided that it is equipped with a harness and the person with disabilities has a certificate confirming the status of an assistance dog’s and a certificate of required veterinary vaccinations. These animals are not required to wear a muzzle.
- re 12.2.4: The provision does not apply.
- re 18: The provisions set out under clause 18 do not apply to Poland, but the following liability provisions (18.8.1 to 18.8.9) apply, in accordance with Polish civil law and the Polish Act on the Transport of Passengers:
- re 18.8.1: Complaints resulting from the contract of carriage concluded with the carrier must be sent in writing to FlixBus using the form on the web portals of Flix or sent in writing by registered letter to the following address: FlixBus Polska sp. z o.o. Fabryczna 5A, 00-466 Warsaw, Poland. Complaints may be made within one year from the date of the event that is the subject of the complaint.
- re 18.8.2: The complaint should include in particular the designation of the person submitting the complaint, description of the circumstances and reservations raised, indication of the damage suffered, determination of the claim (compensation amount), and the signature of the person lodging the complaint. Complaints must be accompanied by originals or photocopies of the ticket as well as other contractual documents relating to the contract of carriage, including those certifying entitlement to free or reduced transportation.
- re 18.8.3: If the complaint concerns luggage, the exact damage and the circumstances in which it occurred must be explained.
- re 18.8.4: If the complaint does not include the above requirements, this information must be provided. In this case, the carrier requests the complainant to provide this information within 14 days of receiving the application. If the complainant fails to respond to the request within that period, the complaint will not be processed further.
- re 18.8.5: The carrier will process the complaint within 30 days from the date of receipt of the completed complaint.
- re 18.8.6: Further conditions and a detailed complaint procedure are regulated by the Polish Transport Act and the Implementing Regulations.
- re 19 and 20: These provisions do not apply to connections operated by FlixBus Polska sp. z. o.o.
5. Additional Conditions of Carriage applicable to Czech Republic
- re 3.3.3: According to the provisions of Section 1840 of Act No.89/2012 Coll., the Civil Code, as amended, special provisions concerning obligations under contracts executed as distance contracts, under which the consumer has the right to withdraw from the contract within a period of fourteen days, shall not apply to passenger transport contracts.
- re 11.2 to 11.4: Instead of the age restriction in paragraphs 11.2 to 11.4, children under the age of six may only be transported if accompanied by a person over ten years of age.
- re 11.5: Passengers up to the age of six are transported free of charge; this does not apply to the second or any other subsequent child accompanied by the same passenger or, if the child is provided a separate seat at the request of the accompanying passenger. Passengers aged 6 to 18 travel at discounted fares.
- re 12: Within the Czech Republic, persons with disabilities or limited mobility travel at a reduced tariff, if able to present a valid ZTP or ZTP/P card issued in the Czech Republic.
- re 12.2.1: The guide is transported free of charge, where evidence of the need for permanent guidance is presented.Presenting the evidence is defined as providing an appropriate document upon starting a journey, indicating the need for permanent guidance; in the Czech Republic this is a valid ZTP/P card issued in the Czech Republic.
- re 12.2.4: The provision does not apply.
- re 17.2: In the event that a passenger holds a one-way ticket for a connection that, at their departure station, is delayed by 60 minutes or more, and the passenger decides to abandon their journey, they have a right to a fare refund.
- re 18.1. to 18.3, 18.6, 18.7: The statutory liability provisions shall apply.
- re 18.4.2: Instead of the provision included, the following shall apply: the passenger will be entitled to a refund of proven damage to lost luggage transported in the luggage compartment, up to a maximum of CZK 3,000.
- re 19: In addition to these General Conditions of Carriage, the Decree of the Ministry of Transport and Communications No.175/2000 Coll., on Transport Rules for Public Rail and Road Passenger Transport, or other relevant legislation, shall apply.
- re 20: Any potential litigation between FlixBus CZ s.r.o. and a passenger shall be brought before a court in the Czech Republic.
6. Additional Conditions of Carriage applicable to Sweden
- re 17.2:
- Delays on trips at lines of total distance shorter than 150 km. (e.g. line 690 Arlanda to Stockholm C)
- On trips with lines of a total distance shorter than 150 km, other provisions apply in case of delay of more than 20 minutes.
- Passengers can either carry out the journey with other means of transportation or continue the journey with the delayed bus, in both cases passengers will be entitled to financial compensation. It does not depend on the distance you cover yourself, but on the total distance of the bus line you use.
- Compensation for other means of transportation.
- If there are reasonable indications to assume that passengers will be delayed more than 20 minutes to their destination, passengers are entitled to first carry out the journey with other means of transport and then receive compensation for the alternative transport. The alternative transportation can be, for example, public transport, taxi or own car. Requests of refund for taxi trips can only be subjected to consideration if the ride was performed from and to the exact stations that were booked or planned.
- The costs for alternative transportation must be reasonable in relation to the circumstances and must not exceed 1/40 of the price base amount, as defined by the Social Insurance Code (2010:110), (SEK 1182.50 for year 2020). There are no predetermined limits on what reasonable costs are, but it is to be decided in each individual case.
- Passengers may also be entitled to compensation for other means of transportation for a delay, even if passengers have not been able to purchase a bus ticket. The bus should be more than 20 minutes delayed and passengers should especially have planned to travel with exact this bus journey that has been delayed. There must be proof that passengers have made some preparations, such as being at the bus stop/bus station to travel with the bus that has been delayed.
- Refunds of ticket fees
- If passengers choose to continue their journey with the delayed bus, they are entitled to a price refund:
- If the trip is delayed for more than 20 minutes, they have the right to a 50 percent refund of the ticket price.
- If the trip is delayed for more than 40 minutes, they have the right to a 75 percent refund of the ticket price.
- If the trip is delayed for more than 60 minutes, they have the right to a 100 percent refund of the ticket price.
- Passengers requesting a refund for alternative transportation must assert a claim within two months after the event of delay.
- If passengers choose to continue their journey with the delayed bus, they are entitled to a price refund:
- Delays on trips at lines of total distance shorter than 150 km. (e.g. line 690 Arlanda to Stockholm C)
7. Additional Conditions of Carriage applicable to Estonia
- re 3.5.3: On the domestic route there are statutory discounts granted to entitled persons under the Estonian Public Transport Act. The charge in this case is calculated based the statutory discount and the price specified in the price list currently valid for the given route. The passenger is required to present a valid and required document confirming the discount entitlement before boarding the bus.
- re 18.1 to 18.3, 18.4.1 and 18.6: The statutory liability provisions shall apply.
- re 19 and 20: These provisions do not apply to connections operated by FlixBus Estonia OÜ. These General Terms and Conditions of Carriage are governed by, construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the Republic of Estonia if the connection is operated by FlixBus Estonia OÜ. Any dispute, claim or controversy arising out of or relating to these General Terms and Conditions of Carriage and/or any connection operated by FlixBus Estonia OÜ will be finally solved in Harju County Court in Tallinn, Estonia.
8. Additional Conditions of Carriage applicable to Latvia
- re 3.5.3: A passenger is entitled to use the applicable charge reliefs specified in regulatory enactments of the Republic of Latvia within routes of a route network. Charge reliefs specified in regulatory enactments of the Republic of Latvia apply to domestic routes only. The passenger shall present a valid document confirming the entitlement to the charge relief before boarding the bus.
- re 11: The provisions determined in clause 11 apply to Latvia, with the following additional provisions:
- re 11.6: Children under the age of 7 at all times will only be permitted to travel if they are accompanied by an adult or a person not younger than 13 years of age.
- re 11.7: Children under the age of 16 are not permitted to travel without an adult if the travel time is from 22.00 until 6.00.
- re 11.8: If children under the age of 18 are traveling internationally from Latvia, their parents or guardians shall ensure that they have all the documents required for crossing a border with them).
- re 18: The provisions determined in clause 18 do not apply to Latvia, but the following provisions apply.
- re 18.9.1: If the passenger has refused from travelling and returned the previously bought ticket, the passenger is entitled to compensation for the value of the ticked in accordance with these terms and conditions and applicable legal acts.
- re 18.9.2: In accordance with these terms and conditions and applicable legal acts FlixBus shall compensate direct losses (excluding lost profit) incurred, if the arrival or departure of a road transport vehicle of regular carriage of passengers (in accordance with the requirements of applicable laws and regulations) fails to comply with the timetable, as well as if a journey in an international route for which a passenger obtained a ticket has been cancelled.
- re 18.9.3: If luggage is damaged or lost FlixBus as a carrier shall draw up a relevant deed regarding it and compensate a passenger for loss in accordance with these terms and conditions and applicable legal acts.
- re 18.9.4: If luggage for which FlixBus as a carrier has paid the relevant compensation is found afterwards, a passenger has the right to request the issue of such luggage, provided that he or she reimburse the received compensation (taking into the account the state of the found luggage).
- re 18.9.5: FlixBus as a carrier is liable for losses caused in the course of carriage if a passenger has died or has become crippled, or some other health impairment or damage to his or her property has been caused and the carrier fails to prove that the loss has been incurred due to force majeure, with the intention of the victim himself or herself, or due to the gross negligence of the victim. A carrier shall be liable for losses caused during embarkation or disembarking of passengers and loading or unloading of luggage if the carrier is determined to be at fault.
- re 18.9.6: The maximum sum of compensation in relation to death of or bodily harm to a passengers or losing or damage to luggage on a case by case basis shall be limited to EUR 220 000 per passenger and EUR 1 200 per item of luggage. In the event of damage to wheelchairs, other mobility equipment or assistive devices the amount of compensation shall always be equal to the cost of replacement or repair of the equipment lost or damaged.
- re 18.9.7: A passenger shall submit a claim to FlixBus prior to bringing an action against FlixBus as a carrier in relation to a breach of the contract of carriage. An application for a claim must be accompanied by documents certifying it. A complaint to FlixBus shall be submitted within three months from the date on which the regular service was performed or when a regular service should have been performed. Within one month of receiving the complaint, FlixBus as a carrier shall give notice to the passenger that the complaint has been substantiated, rejected or is still being considered. The time taken to provide the final reply shall not be longer than 3 months from the receipt of the complaint.
- re 19: These provisions do not apply to connections operated by SIA FlixBus Latvia.
- re 20: The provisions determined in clause 20 do not apply to Latvia, but the following provisions apply. All disputes between a passenger and SIA FlixBus Latvia shall be brought before a court in the Republic of Latvia.
9. Additional Conditions of Carriage applicable to Lithuania
- re 3.5.3: For journeys within Lithuania (domestic routes), there are honored statutory discounts granted to entitled persons under the Lithuanian Law on Transport Relief. The charge in this case is calculated based the statutory discount and the price specified in the charges list currently valid for the given route. The passenger is required to present a valid document confirming the discount entitlements before boarding the bus.
- re 15.1: The luggage allowance included in the fare is limited to one piece of free luggage per passenger with a maximum size of 100 x 50 x 50 cm per bag. Slightly different dimensions are permitted if the total size of the luggage composed of height, width and length does not exceed 200 cm. Each passenger can take luggage free of charge up to a maximum of 25 kg. Luggage refers to suitcases and bags. Taking a trekking backpack is an exception. You can learn more about the permitted luggage allowance during the booking process.
- re 15.2.1: Hand luggage is carried free of charge, but is limited to one luggage item per passenger with a maximum total size composed of height, width and length of 120 cm and a maximum weight of 7 kg.
For journeys within Lithuania (domestic routes), students are allowed to have a hand luggage with larger dimensions then indicated above if the hand luggage is essential for their studies.
- re 18.1 and 18.3, 18.4.1 and 18.6: The statutory liability provisions shall apply.
- re 19 and 20: These provisions do not apply to connections operated by UAB “FlixBus Lithuania”. Lithuanian law shall be applicable to carriage of passengers performed by UAB “FlixBus Lithuania”. Any potential litigation between UAB “FlixBus Lithuania” and a passenger shall be brought before a court in Lithuania.
10. Additional Conditions of Carriage applicable in connection with the war in Ukraine
- re 16.1: Passengers travelling to Ukraine are generally allowed to transport small animals (dogs, cats, rodents, etc.) only on direct journeys (no interconnecting journeys) on the routes operated by FlixBus Polska sp. z o.o., Ukrainian carriers and FlixBus-Ukraine LLC. The animal must travel the entire journey in a special container (carrier or soft bag for transporting animals) suitable for its weight and size. The weight of the animal transported in the passenger cabin including the container must not exceed 7 kg and must meet the maximum size of hand luggage specified in provision 15.2.1. During the entire journey, the animal must remain in the special container that cannot be placed in the aisle. The animal must be in possession of all legally required documents. Ultimately the bus driver decides whether to allow the carriage of the animal. Passengers travelling from Ukraine are not allowed to transport small animals (dogs, cats, rodents, etc.) on all routes.
11. Additional Conditions of Carriage applicable to United Kingdom
- re 11.3: Applies to journeys that remain within the UK only.
- re 11.4: In the case of services traveling outside of the UK, the child must be at least 16 years old to travel independently.
12. Additional Conditions of Carriage applicable to Spain
- re 19: Flix SE expressly renounces and excludes the competence of the Transport Arbitration Boards for the resolution of disputes related to the services it provides. If passengers submit claims to Transport Arbitration Boards, they will be informed about alternative dispute resolution options.